This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Briggs & Stratton P2400 PowerSmart. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's core is the 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1,700W and a peak wattage of 2,200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the P2200 PowerSmart may run for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the P2200 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its closed design (L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The P2200 PowerSmart's dry weight of 54 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, a conveniently placed triple handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the P2200 PowerSmart across any distance.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel, dual port USB adapter and oil are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a dry weight of 54 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is one of the heavier inverters which can produce between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 59 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The P2200 PowerSmart's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only up to 8 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Yamaha EF2800i, reaching up to 14.7 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.13 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (54 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,700 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and dual port USB adapter|
|Other model numbers||30651|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|