Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's design includes a gasoline-fueled 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1700W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The P2200 PowerSmart can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The P2200 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its encased design (L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The P2200 PowerSmart can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 54 lbs. Additionally, a conveniently placed triple handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the P2200 PowerSmart across any distance.
When the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart, the following accessories are also included: dual port USB adapter, tool kit, oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With a dry weight of 54 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 59 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the P2200 PowerSmart, reaching up to 8 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and dual port USB adapter|
|Other model numbers||30651|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.