Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's core is the 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1700W and a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 59 dBA (less noisy than rainfall).
With a full tank, the P2200 PowerSmart can operate for up to 8 hours (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the P2200 PowerSmart generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Since the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its closed design (L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The P2200 PowerSmart can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 54 lbs. Additionally, a conveniently placed triple handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the P2200 PowerSmart across any distance.
When the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart also is packed along with the following accessories: dual port USB adapter, tool kit, funnel and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 54 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 59 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the P2200 PowerSmart falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.13 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and dual port USB adapter|
|Other model numbers||30651|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.