Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's core is the 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1700W and a peak wattage of 2200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the P2200 PowerSmart can operate for up to 8 hours (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the P2200 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 54 lbs, the P2200 PowerSmart can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, a conveniently placed triple handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the P2200 PowerSmart across any distance.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, dual port USB adapter, funnel and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 54 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 59 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 8 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the P2200 PowerSmart is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and dual port USB adapter|
|Other model numbers||30651|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.