This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Briggs & Stratton P2400 PowerSmart. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's design includes a gasoline-fueled 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1700W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the P2200 PowerSmart can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the P2200 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
With a dry weight of 54 lbs, the P2200 PowerSmart can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, moving the P2200 PowerSmart from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient triple handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart, the following accessories are also included: dual port USB adapter, funnel, tool kit and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its dry weight is 54 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is one of the heavier of the inverters which can generate 1500 to 2500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 59 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the P2200 PowerSmart, reaching up to 8 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Yamaha EF2800i, boasting with up to 14.7 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (54 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and dual port USB adapter|
|Other model numbers||30651|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.