Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's engine, 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1700W and reaches a peak wattage of 2200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The P2200 PowerSmart can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the P2200 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Since the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its closed design (L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The 54 lbs of the P2200 PowerSmart's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, displacement is an easy task, as the P2200 PowerSmart features a nifty triple handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
When the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's package also includes these accessories: dual port USB adapter, oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 54 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 59 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the P2200 PowerSmart, reaching up to 8 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.