This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Briggs & Stratton P2400 PowerSmart. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's engine, 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1,700W and reaches a peak wattage of 2,200W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The P2200 PowerSmart can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the P2200 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The P2200 PowerSmart can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 54 lbs. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the P2200 PowerSmart features a nifty triple handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart also comes with some accessories: funnel, tool kit, dual port USB adapter and oil are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 54 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is one of the heavier inverter generators producing between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 59 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the P2200 PowerSmart falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Yamaha EF2800i, which is able to run for up to 14.7 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.13 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (54 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,700 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and dual port USB adapter|
|Other model numbers||30651|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|