Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart's core is the 110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1700W and a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 59 dBA (less noisy than rainfall).
The P2200 PowerSmart can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
As the P2200 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L21 x W12.5 x H17.35 in. Thus, it is more esthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The P2200 PowerSmart can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 54 lbs. Furthermore, moving the P2200 PowerSmart from A to B is made easier thanks a convenient triple handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
The light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 54 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56202i with only 38.6 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 59 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- The autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only 8 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV2000P, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||110 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 17.35 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.