Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder's engine, 420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 6250W and reaches a peak wattage of 8500W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The Storm Responder can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.68 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the Storm Responder holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28 x W27 x H28 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 210 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Monitoring of the Storm Responder's status and activity is made possible by a digital StatStation™ data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and power output and is one of the features of its control panel.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included a extension cord in the Storm Responder's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As its dry weight is 210 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 5500 to 6500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar G65BN, weighing just 126 pounds.
- Given that the Storm Responder reaches an autonomy of around 11 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.68 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (210 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6250 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 27 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Extension cord and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4967 W||6442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4985 W||5405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.