Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder's build contains a gasoline-fueled 420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 6250W and also a peak wattage of 8500W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The Storm Responder can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.68 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
The dimensions of the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder, which are L28 x W27 x H28 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 210 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the Storm Responder's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an illuminated StatStation™ data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and power output.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included a extension cord in the Storm Responder's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- A weight of 210 lbs makes the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder one of the heavier devices in the 5500-6500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the Storm Responder, with an autonomy of 11 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.68 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (210 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6250 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 27 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Extension cord|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.