Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 6250W and also a peak wattage of 8500W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The Storm Responder can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.68 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Since the Storm Responder bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28 x W27 x H28 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 210 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the Storm Responder's status and activity is made possible by a digital StatStation™ data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and power output and is one of the features of its control panel.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included a extension cord in the Storm Responder's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- With its weight of 210 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is one of the heavier generators in the 5500-6500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Lifan LF7250 with only 140 pounds.
- Offering around 11 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the Storm Responder is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.68 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (210 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6250 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 27 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Extension cord and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4967 W||6442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4985 W||5405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.