Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart's design includes a gasoline-fueled 171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2600W and also a peak wattage of 3000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall).
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the P3000 PowerSmart to operate for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The P3000 PowerSmart generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
While this Briggs & Stratton generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L26 x W14 x H21 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 84 lbs of the P3000 PowerSmart's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels (⌀6") and its telecospic handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
To help you monitor the P3000 PowerSmart's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital StatStation™ data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit, oil, funnel and RV adapter are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart has only 84 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM3300i with only 47.4 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the P3000 PowerSmart, with an autonomy of up to 10 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 200914, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3500P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (84 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peak amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 14 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||30545|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1982 W||2982 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2070 W||2660 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.