Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart's core is the 171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2600W and a peak wattage of 3000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The P3000 PowerSmart can operate for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the P3000 PowerSmart generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Even if this Briggs & Stratton generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included), thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L26 x W14 x H21 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The 84 lbs of the P3000 PowerSmart's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its wheel kit (⌀6") and its telecospic handle.
Monitoring of the P3000 PowerSmart's status and activity is made possible by a digital StatStation™ data center, which provides information on the power output and lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, oil, RV adapter, tool kit and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart stands at only 84 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 2500-3500 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- The P3000 PowerSmart’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 10 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, reaching up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3200P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (84 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 14 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||30545|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1992 W||2992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2075 W||2525 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.