Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is powered by a 171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2600W as well as a peak wattage of 3000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The P3000 PowerSmart can operate for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the P3000 PowerSmart generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Briggs & Stratton generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included). However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L26 x W14 x H21 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 84 lbs of the P3000 PowerSmart's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀6") will allow you to displace it without effort.
To help you monitor the P3000 PowerSmart's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital StatStation™ data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables and RV adapter are included.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As for its weight, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart weighs only 84 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- The P3000 PowerSmart’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 10 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EU3000iS, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3200P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (84 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 14 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.