Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart's design includes a gasoline-fueled 171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2600W and also a peak wattage of 3000W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The P3000 PowerSmart can operate for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the P3000 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This Briggs & Stratton generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included). However, it is still not quite RV ready.
Since the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its closed design (L26 x W14 x H21 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 84 lbs, the P3000 PowerSmart can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀6") and its telecospic handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
To help you monitor the P3000 PowerSmart's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital StatStation™ data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, RV adapter and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart weighs just 84 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 2500 to 3500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of just 59.5 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 10 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the P3000 PowerSmart is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (84 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peak amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 14 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||30545|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1982 W||2982 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2070 W||2660 W|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.