Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart's engine, 171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2600W and reaches a peak wattage of 3000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PowerSmart parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the P3000 PowerSmart can operate for up to 10 hours (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
The P3000 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This Briggs & Stratton generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included). However, it is still not quite RV ready.
As the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its encased design (L26 x W14 x H21 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The P3000 PowerSmart's dry weight of 84 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, with its wheel kit (⌀6") and its telecospic handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed the floor.
The control panel of the P3000 PowerSmart includes a digital StatStation™ data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart's package also includes these accessories: oil, tool kit, battery charging cables, RV adapter and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart has only 84 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 10 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the P3000 PowerSmart is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, reaching up to 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3200P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (84 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 14 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||30545|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P3000 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1982 W||2982 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2070 W||2660 W|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.