Zoom on the A-iPower SUA6000ED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile A-iPower SUA6000ED provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 5,500W along with a peak wattage of 6,000W. While propane-powered, it provides 5,000 rated watts and 5,500 starting watts.
A-iPower’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
With a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the SUA6000ED, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 6.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the SUA6000ED is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Since the SUA6000ED bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24.4 x W18.9 x H22.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 157.7 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀7.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the SUA6000ED's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower SUA6000ED also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, oil and battery charger.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA6000ED compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- With a dry weight of 157.7 pounds, the A-iPower SUA6000ED finds itself in the expected weight range for dual fuel generators able to produce between 5000 and 6000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM6000iED, weighing just 117.9 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 78 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Genmax GM6000iED, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 63 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 6.5 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the SUA6000ED is on the low end when compared to other dual fuel generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman H05751, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.62 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.43 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W dual fuel generators, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch On Demand technology
- Decent weight (157.7 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||322 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,500 W||5,000 W|
|Starting watts||6,000 W||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.4 x 18.9 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.