Zoom on the A-iPower SUA6000ED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile A-iPower SUA6000ED provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 5500W along with a peak wattage of 6000W. While propane-powered, it provides 5000 rated watts and 5500 starting watts.
A-iPower’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the SUA6000ED can operate for around 6.5 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH), or for around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) using propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the SUA6000ED is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As the SUA6000ED holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the A-iPower SUA6000ED is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24.4 x W18.9 x H22.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 157.7 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀7.5") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the SUA6000ED's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA6000ED also comes with some accessories: battery charger, propane hose and oil are included.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA6000ED compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- At a weight of 157.7 pounds, the A-iPower SUA6000ED places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of just 106.9 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 78 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the SUA6000ED, reaching around 6.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.62 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.36 GPH, the A-iPower SUA7000L is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch On Demand technology
- Decent weight (157.7 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||322 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6000 W||5500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.4 x 18.9 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.