Zoom on the A-iPower SUA6000ED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile A-iPower SUA6000ED provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 5500W along with a peak wattage of 6000W. While propane-powered, it provides 5000 rated watts and 5500 starting watts.
A-iPower’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The SUA6000ED, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of around 6.5 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The SUA6000ED generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Since the SUA6000ED bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED has the following dimensions: L24.4 x W18.9 x H22.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 157.7 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀7.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the SUA6000ED includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA6000ED also comes with some accessories: propane hose, oil and battery charger are included.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA6000ED compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the A-iPower SUA6000ED only weighs in at 157.7 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN6000, weighing just 119 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 78 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the SUA6000ED, with an autonomy of around 6.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.62 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch On Demand technology
- Clean sine wave
- Lightweight for its kind (157.7 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||322 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6000 W||5500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.4 x 18.9 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.