Zoom on the A-iPower SUA6000ED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the A-iPower SUA6000ED allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 5,500W and a starting wattage of 6,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 5,000 rated watts and 5,500 starting watts.
A-iPower’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
The running time of the SUA6000ED, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 6.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The SUA6000ED is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the SUA6000ED is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the A-iPower SUA6000ED, which are L24.4 x W18.9 x H22.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 157.7 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀7.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the SUA6000ED's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower SUA6000ED also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, oil and battery charger.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA6000ED compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- At a weight of 157.7 pounds, the A-iPower SUA6000ED places in the expected weight range of the dual fuel generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM6000iED with only 117.9 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 78 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO. With just 62 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the SUA6000ED, with an autonomy of around 6.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman H05751, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.62 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.42 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W dual fuel generators, the A-iPower SUA6000ED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Switch On Demand technology
- Decent weight (157.7 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||322 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,500 W||5,000 W|
|Starting watts||6,000 W||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.4 x 18.9 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA6000ED is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.