Zoom on the A-iPower SUA4500
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA4500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA4500 is powered by a 208 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4500W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the SUA4500 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the SUA4500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L24.5 x W22.8 x H22.6 in, the conventional, open frame design of the A-iPower SUA4500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 111 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀7") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many SUA4500's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA4500 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, RV adapter and oil are included.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 111 lbs, the A-iPower SUA4500 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 11 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the SUA4500 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. As this generator uses an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA4500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 22.8 x 22.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, RV adapter, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.