ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 3
Zoom on the A-iPower SUA4500
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA4500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA4500's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W and also a peak wattage of 4,500W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the SUA4500 to operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the SUA4500 is not recommended due to its high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Because the SUA4500 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the A-iPower SUA4500, which are L23.4 x W22.8 x H22.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 111 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀7") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the SUA4500's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the A-iPower SUA4500, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and oil.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 111 pounds, the A-iPower SUA4500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The SUA4500, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 11 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA4500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 22.8 x 22.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
I researched many generators and this one is the best for the price. Great quality and performance.