Zoom on the A-iPower SUA4500
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA4500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA4500's core is the 208 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the SUA4500 to operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L24.5 x W22.8 x H22.6 in, the conventional, open frame design of the A-iPower SUA4500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 111 pounds. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀7") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
One of the many SUA4500's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA4500 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, RV adapter and oil are included.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 111 lbs, the A-iPower SUA4500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The SUA4500’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 11 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000, boasting with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA4500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 22.8 x 22.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit and RV adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-909-923-2068.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.