Zoom on the A-iPower SUA4500
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA4500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA4500's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W and also a peak wattage of 4,500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the SUA4500 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
Since the SUA4500 has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the SUA4500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The A-iPower SUA4500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.4 x W22.8 x H22.6 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 111 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀7") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the SUA4500 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower SUA4500 also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and oil.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 111 pounds, the A-iPower SUA4500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The SUA4500, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 11 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA4500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 22.8 x 22.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.