Gas + Manual start
Dual fuel + Remote start
Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800iED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA3800iED is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the A-iPower SUA3800iED delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 3,800W. When propane-powered, it has 3,200 rated watts and 3,500 peak watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
A-iPower’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the SUA3800iED may also be remotely started (key fob included).
As for its running time, the SUA3800iED, along with its 2.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 12 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 16 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.29 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the SUA3800iED produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This A-iPower generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included). However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L24 x W19 x H22 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
As the generator's weight is 121 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Monitoring of the SUA3800iED's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, frequency, fuel level, voltage and power output and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the A-iPower SUA3800iED also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, oil, key fob, funnel, tool kit and RV adapter.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800iED compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- A weight of 121 lbs makes the A-iPower SUA3800iED one of the heavier inverters in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 63 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The SUA3800iED's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only up to 12 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman W03661OF, with up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel inverter generators, the A-iPower SUA3800iED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Switch On Demand technology
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- On the heavy side (121 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||3,800 W||3,500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||12 h||16 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, RV adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
What is the recommended motor oil and how much is needed for the 4000w inverter generator? (Asked September 08, 2021)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended. Engine oil capacity is 18.6 fl. oz.
What kind of maintenance needs to be done on a regular basis (Asked October 21, 2021)
Regular maintenance includes oil and air filter change, as well as spark plug/arrester service. We recommend reading our article on generator maintenance.
What spark plug (Asked January 18, 2023)
Spark plug should be NGK BPR6ES or equivalent.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.