Gas + Manual start
Dual fuel + Remote start
Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800iED
In summary, the A-iPower SUA3800iED is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile A-iPower SUA3800iED provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 3,800W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,200 rated watts and 3,500 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
A-iPower’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
At a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The SUA3800iED can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
As for its running time, the SUA3800iED, along with its 2.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 12 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 16 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.29 GPH).
The SUA3800iED generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even though this A-iPower generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The A-iPower SUA3800iED's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L24 x W19 x H22 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
As the generator's weight is 121 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital data center, one of the features of the SUA3800iED's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, fuel level, power output, voltage and frequency, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the A-iPower SUA3800iED, the following accessories are also included: RV adapter, tool kit, key fob, oil, propane hose and funnel.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800iED compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 121 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800iED is one of the heavier inverter generators producing between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, weighing just 46 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 63 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 12 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the SUA3800iED falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.22 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3500P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel inverter generators, the A-iPower SUA3800iED is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Switch On Demand technology
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- On the heavy side (121 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||3,800 W||3,500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||12 h||16 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, RV adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
What is the recommended motor oil and how much is needed for the 4000w inverter generator? (Asked September 08, 2021)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended. Engine oil capacity is 18.6 fl. oz.
What kind of maintenance needs to be done on a regular basis (Asked October 21, 2021)
Regular maintenance includes oil and air filter change, as well as spark plug/arrester service. We recommend reading our article on generator maintenance.
What spark plug (Asked January 18, 2023)
Spark plug should be NGK BPR6ES or equivalent.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.