Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800iED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA3800iED is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the A-iPower SUA3800iED allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3500W and a starting wattage of 3800W. If propane-powered, it gives 3200 rated watts and 3500 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
A-iPower’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the SUA3800iED can be remotely started (key fob included).
The running time of the SUA3800iED, with its 2.6 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 7 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 9 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The SUA3800iED produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
While this A-iPower generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.8 x W19.2 x H22 in), the A-iPower SUA3800iED, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 106 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many SUA3800iED's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours, voltage, fuel level and power output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA3800iED also comes with some accessories: key fob, oil, battery charging cables, funnel, propane hose and tool kit are included.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800iED compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 106 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800iED falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the SUA3800iED, with an autonomy of around 7 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA3800iED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Switch On Demand technology
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (106 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W||3200 W|
|Starting watts||3800 W||3500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||9 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.8 x 19.2 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, battery charging cables, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800iED is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
What is the recommended motor oil and how much is needed for the 4000w inverter generator? (Asked September 08, 2021)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended. Engine oil capacity is 20.2 fl. oz.
What kind of maintenance needs to be done on a regular basis (Asked October 21, 2021)
Regular maintenance includes oil and air filter change, as well as spark plug/arrester service. We recommend reading our article on generator maintenance.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.