Gas + Manual start
Dual fuel + Remote start
Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800i
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA3800i is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA3800i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 3800W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (IPBS8000 parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
With a full tank, the SUA3800i can operate for up to 12 hours (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
As the SUA3800i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this A-iPower generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L24 x W19 x H22 in), the A-iPower SUA3800i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the generator weighs 121 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels (⌀6") and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the SUA3800i's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, fuel level, power output and voltage, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the A-iPower SUA3800i also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, oil and battery charging cables.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 121 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800i is one of the heavier inverter generators producing between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM3300i with only 47.4 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 63 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the SUA3800i, with an autonomy of up to 12 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the A-iPower SUA3800i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (121 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||3800 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||12 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A) |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.