Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800i
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA3800i is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA3800i is powered by a 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 3800W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the SUA3800i can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
As the SUA3800i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This A-iPower generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.8 x W19.2 x H22 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 106 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the SUA3800i's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the fuel level, lifetime run hours, power output and voltage and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower SUA3800i also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, funnel, oil and battery charging cables.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800i compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- With a dry weight of 106 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800i finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the SUA3800i, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA3800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (106 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||3800 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.8 x 19.2 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.