Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800i
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA3800i is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA3800i is powered by a 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 3800W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the SUA3800i can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
The SUA3800i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This A-iPower generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
As the A-iPower SUA3800i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L23.8 x W19.2 x H22 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
As the generator's weight is 106 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the SUA3800i includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the voltage, fuel level, power output and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual, which lets you start it right away, the A-iPower SUA3800i also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800i compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 106 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800i falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the SUA3800i falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA3800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (106 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||3800 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||31.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.8 x 19.2 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.