Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800i
In summary, the A-iPower SUA3800i is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA3800i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 3800W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the SUA3800i may run for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
As the SUA3800i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This A-iPower generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.8 x W19.2 x H22 in), the A-iPower SUA3800i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Since the generator weighs 106 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, once it is placed on the ground.
Monitoring of the SUA3800i's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and fuel level and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA3800i also comes with some accessories: oil, tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel are included.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800i compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- With a dry weight of 106 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800i finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the SUA3800i, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the A-iPower SUA3800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (106 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||3800 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.8 x 19.2 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.