ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 72
Gas + Manual start
Dual fuel + Remote start
Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800i
In summary, the A-iPower SUA3800i is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA3800i's engine, 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 3,800W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (IPBS8000 parallel kit not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the SUA3800i can operate for up to 12 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The SUA3800i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even if this A-iPower generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included), thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
Since the A-iPower SUA3800i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L24 x W19 x H22 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Since the generator weighs 121 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀6") and its telecospic handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the SUA3800i includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the fuel level, voltage, power output and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA3800i also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel, RV adapter, battery charging cables and oil are included.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its dry weight is 121 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800i is one of the heavier of the inverters which can generate 3000 to 4000 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 63 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the SUA3800i, reaching up to 12 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the A-iPower SUA3800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (121 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||3,800 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||12 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A) |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Opted for this generator solely on price comparison. Mostly constantly running a 5000 btu generator and lights during the summer with no appreciable increased load on the motor. Overall it is quiet enough for conversation standing right next to it in eco mode. Certainly it is not ultra quiet like a Honda would be. But considering the price difference, this is a satisfactory compromise for those unwilling to take the Honda plunge.