Gas + Manual start
Dual fuel + Remote start
Zoom on the A-iPower SUA3800i
In summary, the A-iPower SUA3800i is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA3800i's engine, 223 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 3,800W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (IPBS8000 parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the SUA3800i to operate for up to 12 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The SUA3800i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This A-iPower generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The A-iPower SUA3800i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L24 x W19 x H22 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 121 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀6") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A digital data center, one of the features of the SUA3800i's control panel, gives you information on the power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and fuel level, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the A-iPower SUA3800i's package also includes these accessories: funnel, RV adapter, oil, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA3800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA3800i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a dry weight of 121 pounds, the A-iPower SUA3800i is one of the heavier inverters which can produce between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 63 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- The SUA3800i's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only up to 12 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the A-iPower SUA3800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (121 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 5V USB port (USB-A)
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and voltage
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|24 x 19 x 22 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, and battery charging cables
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA3800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Cell phone charger
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.