Zoom on the A-iPower SUA2000i
In summary, the A-iPower SUA2000i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA2000i is powered by a 79 cc A-iPower OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1600W as well as a peak wattage of 2000W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb).
The SUA2000i can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the SUA2000i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even though this A-iPower generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The A-iPower SUA2000i's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L21 x W12.5 x H19 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
With a weight of only 46 lbs, the SUA2000i may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the A-iPower SUA2000i also is packed along with the following accessories: dual port USB adapter, RV adapter and funnel.
The A-iPower SUA2000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA2000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA2000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As for its weight, the A-iPower SUA2000i weighs only 46 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 58 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the SUA2000i falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.12 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the A-iPower SUA2000i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel kit included
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (58 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||79 cc A-iPower OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 12.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, dual port USB adapter, RV adapter, and parallel cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA2000i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Is the engine made by Yamaha? (Asked September 20, 2019)
No. It's the alternate version, the SC2000i that has a Yamaha engine.
How is this unit in higher altitudes such as 6000 ft? (Asked August 28, 2020)
We had reports of people running it at 7000 ft without any issues. However, we'd recommend contacting the manufacturer to obtain an altitude kit. Make sure to also read our article on operating a generator in high altitudes.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.