Zoom on the A-iPower SUA15000EC
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA15000EC is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA15000EC is powered by a 680 cc (24 hp) Senci V-Twin engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 12,000W as well as a peak wattage of 15,000W.
With a noise rating of 85 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock), the generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the SUA15000EC may run for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.14 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the SUA15000EC produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this A-iPower generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the SUA15000EC is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L38.7 x W26.8 x H34.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the A-iPower SUA15000EC offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 392 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀4"), once it is placed on the ground.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
The SUA15000EC and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the A-iPower SUA15000EC also comes with some accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and oil are included.
The A-iPower SUA15000EC is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA15000EC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA15000EC compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- As its dry weight is 392 pounds, the A-iPower SUA15000EC is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 10000 to 14000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of just 218 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 85 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the DuroMax XP16000iH, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 67 dBA.
- The SUA15000EC's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 7 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.14 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.78 GPH, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the A-iPower SUA15000EC is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (392 lbs)
- On the noisy side (85 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||680 cc Senci V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||12,000 W|
|Starting watts||15,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||38.7 x 26.8 x 34.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||85 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA15000EC is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9592 W||11092 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
I purchased a SUA15000 for a home standby and it needs to have a floating nutral can this generator be changed from bonded nutral to floating nutral? (Asked March 01, 2021)
It should be possible. You may refer to our article on neutral conversion or contact A-iPower's support for more information.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.