Zoom on the A-iPower SUA12000ED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA12000ED is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the A-iPower SUA12000ED allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9000W and a starting wattage of 12000W. If propane-powered, it gives 8000 rated watts and 10000 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office).
The SUA12000ED, with a fuel capacity of 7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 8.5 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.82 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 10 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.47 GPH) with propane.
As the SUA12000ED has a relatively high THD (<10%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the SUA12000ED is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the A-iPower SUA12000ED, which are L27.9 x W21 x H22.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 242 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
One of the many SUA12000ED's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower SUA12000ED also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit, propane hose and battery charger.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA12000ED compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 242 lbs, the A-iPower SUA12000ED belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 8500 and 9500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 69 dBA, this generator is one of the most quiet devices of similar power.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8.5 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the SUA12000ED is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG12000B, with around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.82 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Rainier R12000DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the A-iPower SUA12000ED is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (69 dBA)
- Decent weight (242 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc Senci SC460 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9000 W||8000 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.9 x 21 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charger, propane hose and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7192 W||8667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7180 W||7600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7160 W||11660 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.