Zoom on the A-iPower SUA12000ED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA12000ED is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the A-iPower SUA12000ED delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9000W and a peak wattage of 12000W. When propane-powered, it has 8000 rated watts and 10000 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the SUA12000ED, along with its 7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.82 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 10 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.47 GPH).
As the SUA12000ED has a relatively high THD (<8%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the SUA12000ED is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the A-iPower SUA12000ED, which are L27.9 x W21 x H22.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 242 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many SUA12000ED's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the A-iPower SUA12000ED also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charger, oil, propane hose and tool kit.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA12000ED compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- As its weight is 242 pounds, the A-iPower SUA12000ED falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 8500-9500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 69 dBA, this generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the SUA12000ED, reaching 8.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WPro8500, with 12 hours .
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.82 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Rainier R12000DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the A-iPower SUA12000ED is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (69 dBA)
- Decent weight (242 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the A-iPower SUA12000ED?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc Senci SC460 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9000 W||8000 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.9 x 21 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charger and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-909-923-2068.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.