Zoom on the A-iPower SUA12000ED
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA12000ED is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the A-iPower SUA12000ED allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9000W and a starting wattage of 12000W. If propane-powered, it gives 8000 rated watts and 10000 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the SUA12000ED, with a 7 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.82 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 10 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.47 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the SUA12000ED is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<8%).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the SUA12000ED is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the A-iPower SUA12000ED is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.9 x W21 x H22.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 242 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
One of the many SUA12000ED's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower SUA12000ED also comes with several accessories, including: oil, battery charger, propane hose and tool kit.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA12000ED compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- As its weight is 242 pounds, the A-iPower SUA12000ED falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 8500-9500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 69 dBA, this generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power.
- The SUA12000ED’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WPro8500, with around 12 hours .
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.82 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Rainier R12000DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the A-iPower SUA12000ED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (69 dBA)
- Decent weight (242 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc Senci SC460 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9000 W||8000 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.9 x 21 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charger and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA12000ED is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-909-923-2068.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.