Zoom on the A-iPower SUA12000E
In summary, the A-iPower SUA12000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA12000E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 459 cc (16 hp) A-iPower OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 9,000W and also a peak wattage of 12,000W.
With a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7 gallons, the SUA12000E may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the SUA12000E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this A-iPower unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, because the SUA12000E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The A-iPower SUA12000E has the following dimensions: L27.6 x W27 x H26.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 206 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
Monitoring of the SUA12000E's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the A-iPower SUA12000E also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The A-iPower SUA12000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA12000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA12000E compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- Weight-wise, the A-iPower SUA12000E has only 206 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 8500 to 9500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PG12000B, standing at just 205 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 78 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- The SUA12000E's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the A-iPower SUA12000E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (206 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc A-iPower OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9,000 W|
|Starting watts||12,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.6 x 27 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA12000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7192 W||8667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7180 W||7600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7160 W||11660 W|
How do i charge the battery it came with, sua12000e? (Asked July 18, 2020)
The generator automatically charges the battery while running.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.