Zoom on the A-iPower SUA12000E
In summary, the A-iPower SUA12000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA12000E is powered by a 459 cc (16 hp) A-iPower OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 9,000W as well as a peak wattage of 12,000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7 gallons, the SUA12000E can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH).
The SUA12000E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<23%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this A-iPower unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, since the SUA12000E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The A-iPower SUA12000E has the following dimensions: L27.6 x W27 x H26.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 206 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
One of the many SUA12000E's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the A-iPower SUA12000E, the following accessories are also included: oil, battery charging cables and tool kit.
The A-iPower SUA12000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA12000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA12000E compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the A-iPower SUA12000E only weighs in at 206 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 8500-9500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of just 196 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 78 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Genmax GM10500iETC with only 64 dBA.
- Offering around 9 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the SUA12000E is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar G12KBN, boasting with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Rainier R12000DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the A-iPower SUA12000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (206 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc A-iPower OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9,000 W|
|Starting watts||12,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.6 x 27 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA12000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7192 W||8667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||7180 W||7600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7160 W||11660 W|
How do i charge the battery it came with, sua12000e? (Asked July 18, 2020)
The generator automatically charges the battery while running.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.