Zoom on the A-iPower SUA12000E
In a nutshell, the A-iPower SUA12000E is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA12000E's core is the 459 cc (16 hp) A-iPower OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 9000W and a peak wattage of 12000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The SUA12000E can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the SUA12000E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the SUA12000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the A-iPower SUA12000E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.6 x W27 x H26.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 206 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A digital data center, one of the features of the SUA12000E's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the A-iPower SUA12000E, the following accessories are also included: oil, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The A-iPower SUA12000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA12000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA12000E compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the A-iPower SUA12000E stands at only 216 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 8500-9500 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- The SUA12000E's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the A-iPower SUA12000E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (216 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc A-iPower OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9000 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.6 x 27 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA12000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7192 W||8667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||7180 W||7600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7160 W||11660 W|
How do i charge the battery it came with, sua12000e? (Asked July 18, 2020)
The generator automatically charges the battery while running.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.