Zoom on the A-iPower SUA10000EC
In summary, the A-iPower SUA10000EC is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower SUA10000EC's design includes a gasoline-fueled 459 cc (16 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 8,200W and also a peak wattage of 10,000W.
At a noise rating of 77 dBA (less noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7 gallons, the SUA10000EC can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the SUA10000EC is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this A-iPower unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet.
The dimensions of the A-iPower SUA10000EC, which are L27.6 x W27 x H25.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 216 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀9") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the SUA10000EC's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower SUA10000EC also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables, tool kit and oil.
The A-iPower SUA10000EC is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower SUA10000EC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower SUA10000EC compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As its weight is 216 pounds, the A-iPower SUA10000EC falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 7500-8500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, weighing just 183 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 77 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Genmax GM9000iED, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 62 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the SUA10000EC, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 1 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the A-iPower SUA10000EC is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (216 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (77 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8,200 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||68.3/34.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.6 x 27 x 25.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower SUA10000EC is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6557 W||8032 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6530 W||6950 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Can I use a 12V 12Ah battery on a sua10000EC generator? (Asked March 06, 2020)
This unit comes with a 12V 15Ah battery. Using an "under-spec" battery could work, but could also shorten the battery life-span. I'd recommend to contact A-iPower to be sure.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.