Zoom on the A-iPower AP5000
In a nutshell, the A-iPower AP5000 is a quiet and compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP5000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (7.5 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4000W and also a peak wattage of 5000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the AP5000 to operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Since the AP5000 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L23.2 x W16.9 x H18.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the A-iPower AP5000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 106 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
One of the many AP5000's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual to get you promptly started, A-iPower also included a tool kit in the AP5000's packaging.
The A-iPower AP5000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP5000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 106 pounds, the A-iPower AP5000 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the AP5000, with an autonomy of around 9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the A-iPower AP5000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (106 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 16.9 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Can I power inverter air conditioner or other inverter appliances with this generator? (Asked August 02, 2020)
There should be no problem. As its name suggests, an inverter air conditioner contains its own inverter and will therefore clean any "dirty" power.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.