Zoom on the A-iPower AP5000
In summary, the A-iPower AP5000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP5000's engine, 223 cc (7.5 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 4000W and reaches a peak wattage of 5000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the AP5000 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the AP5000 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Since the AP5000 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the A-iPower AP5000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W22.8 x H21.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 103.5 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀7") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the AP5000's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the A-iPower AP5000 also comes with some accessories: oil and tool kit are included.
The A-iPower AP5000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP5000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 103.5 pounds, the A-iPower AP5000 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the AP5000 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the A-iPower AP5000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (103.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 22.8 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Can I power inverter air conditioner or other inverter appliances with this generator? (Asked August 02, 2020)
There should be no problem. As its name suggests, an inverter air conditioner contains its own inverter and will therefore clean any "dirty" power.
How much oil does it take (Asked July 05, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 0.6 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.