Zoom on the A-iPower AP5000
In a nutshell, the A-iPower AP5000 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP5000's engine, 223 cc (7.5 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 4000W and reaches a peak wattage of 5000W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the AP5000 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
Since the AP5000 has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Because the AP5000 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The A-iPower AP5000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W22.8 x H21.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 103.5 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀7") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Monitoring of the AP5000's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the A-iPower AP5000's package also includes these accessories: oil and tool kit.
The A-iPower AP5000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP5000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 103.5 lbs, the A-iPower AP5000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The AP5000's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the A-iPower AP5000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (103.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 22.8 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Can I power inverter air conditioner or other inverter appliances with this generator? (Asked August 02, 2020)
There should be no problem. As its name suggests, an inverter air conditioner contains its own inverter and will therefore clean any "dirty" power.
How much oil does it take (Asked July 05, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 0.6 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.