Zoom on the A-iPower AP5000
In a nutshell, the A-iPower AP5000 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP5000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (7.5 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4000W and also a peak wattage of 5000W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The AP5000 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the AP5000 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Because the AP5000 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the A-iPower AP5000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W22.8 x H21.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 103.5 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀7") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the AP5000's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the A-iPower AP5000 also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and oil.
The A-iPower AP5000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP5000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 103.5 pounds, the A-iPower AP5000 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 9 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the AP5000 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.23 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the A-iPower AP5000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (103.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 22.8 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Can I power inverter air conditioner or other inverter appliances with this generator? (Asked August 02, 2020)
There should be no problem. As its name suggests, an inverter air conditioner contains its own inverter and will therefore clean any "dirty" power.
How much oil does it take (Asked July 05, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 0.6 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.