Zoom on the A-iPower AP5000
In summary, the A-iPower AP5000 is a quiet and compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP5000 is powered by a 223 cc (7.5 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 4000W as well as a peak wattage of 5000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the AP5000 to operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
As the AP5000 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The A-iPower AP5000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W16.9 x H18.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 106 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the AP5000's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual to get you promptly started, A-iPower also included a tool kit in the AP5000's packaging.
The A-iPower AP5000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP5000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the A-iPower AP5000 only weighs in at 106 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The AP5000’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the A-iPower AP5000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight for its kind (106 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 16.9 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4667 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Can I power inverter air conditioner or other inverter appliances with this generator? (Asked August 02, 2020)
There should be no problem. As its name suggests, an inverter air conditioner contains its own inverter and will therefore clean any "dirty" power.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.