Zoom on the A-iPower AP5000
In summary, the A-iPower AP5000 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP5000 houses a 223 cc (7.5 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 5000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The AP5000 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
The A-iPower AP5000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W16.9 x H18.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 106 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the AP5000's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an illuminated data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, A-iPower also included a tool kit in the AP5000's packaging.
The A-iPower AP5000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP5000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the A-iPower AP5000 weighs just 106 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3500 to 4500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Energizer eZV4500, with a dry weight of only 78 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the A-iPower AP5000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight for its kind (106 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the A-iPower AP5000?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 16.9 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-909-923-2068.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.