Zoom on the A-iPower AP5000
In summary, the A-iPower AP5000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP5000 houses a 223 cc (7.5 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4,000W along with a peak wattage of 5,000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the AP5000 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH).
As the AP5000 has a high THD (<23%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the AP5000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the A-iPower AP5000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W22.8 x H21.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 103.5 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀7") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the AP5000's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the A-iPower AP5000, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and oil.
The A-iPower AP5000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP5000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 103.5 pounds, the A-iPower AP5000 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM4600iAEFIC, with a dry weight of only 58.4 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 68 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 9 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the AP5000 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.44 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the A-iPower AP5000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (103.5 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|223 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Lifetime run hours
|Steel, 4 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.2 x 22.8 x 21.9 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Can I power inverter air conditioner or other inverter appliances with this generator? (Asked August 02, 2020)
There should be no problem. As its name suggests, an inverter air conditioner contains its own inverter and will therefore clean any "dirty" power.
How much oil does it take (Asked July 05, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 0.6 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.