Zoom on the A-iPower AP4000
In summary, the A-iPower AP4000 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The A-iPower AP4000 houses a 208 cc (7 hp) Senci OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,000W along with a peak wattage of 4,000W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the AP4000 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This A-iPower generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the A-iPower AP4000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W16.9 x H18.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The AP4000's dry weight of 95 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The control panel of the AP4000 includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, A-iPower also included a tool kit in the AP4000's packaging.
The A-iPower AP4000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The A-iPower AP4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the A-iPower AP4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 95 pounds, the A-iPower AP4000 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the AP4000 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the A-iPower AP4000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Senci OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 16.9 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
A-iPower, a small company based in the USA, is a fresh face on the generator market. Their product line is comprised of engines, water pumps, pressure washers and of course, generators. The selection of A-iPower generators includes several conventional and inverted portable generators, many of which have an electric starter. The company has several facilities, including headquarters in California and a distribution center in Wisconsin. The production of their devices is, however, outsourced completely overseas, to China.
The A-iPower AP4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of A-iPower generators, please contact the A-iPower Customer Support: 1-855-888-3598.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Do I have to ground THE AP 4000 (Asked September 26, 2020)
For safety reasons, a generator should always be grounded.
Does the Ai-power 3000/4000 gasoline powered generator require a gas mixture to operate? (Asked February 15, 2021)
The unit's engine is 4-cycle. Gas mixtures are for 2-cycle engines.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.